I made this a few weeks ago and honestly I just don't know how to describe it. It's so smooth and cold and just terrific. And making it, oh my. The smell of 6 cups of blackberries cooking...
It's a bit of work (need time for the process)but so very very worth it on a hot summer day. I mean, just LOOK at the color!!!
Blackberry Ice (from Silver Palate cookbook)
Ingredients:
6 cups ripe blackberries
1/2 cup granulated sugar
juice of 2 lemons
3/4 cup black currant liqueur (I substituted with a few tablespoons of this)
Directions:
1. Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, for 20 minutes, or until all berries have burst. (which you can tell b/c they change color, so pretty)
2. Cool mixture slightly and force through sieve or fine strainer. Cool the resulting puree completely.
3. Pour cooled mixture into a shallow pan (I used a pie plate) and set it in your freezer.
4. When the mixture is about half frozen, in 2 to 3 hours, remove the pan from the freezer, scrape the blackberry ice out of the pan into a bowl, and beat with a wire whisk until soft and icy parts are completely mixed. Return the ice to the pan, set it back in the freezer and freeze completely. (I froze it overnight)
5. The ice will be very solid. To serve, temper in fridge for 15 to 30 minutes before dishing up.
1 comment:
ooh...me like!! i have been craving something cool to slurp these days...
Post a Comment