So here's my recap. I'll also post about what I did for Biggest Loser in terms of food and exercise another time.
As you can imagine this fitness/weight loss journey is all about patience and perseverance. It really is. Here are my thoughts/tips.
1. Whatever my expecations about results, double or triple them.
As you can see by my weekly weigh-ins, some weeks were worse, some the same, and some were good. Even though I worked hard every week, it's the total of many weeks that show the good outcome. One or two bad weeks...persevere.
2. It took me 3 weeks to not completely LOATHE exercising.
I am not kidding. I dreaded it. During my 4th week, I finally felt like my body wasn't completely rejecting the change. My advice-don't over do it at the beginning, you may burn out too fast.
3. It took me 7 months (4 months-sporadic exercising and 3 months-scheduled exercising) to actually keep fitness as a priority and as a strategic plan.
That whole quote about it takes x amount of weeks to form a habit and x amount of days to break it (I don't remember the numbers) DOES NOT apply to exercising. At all.
It takes way more time.
By strategic plan I mean this: If I know I won't end up exercising on a certain day, (particularly days that I've worked in the office) I plan ahead on how I'm going to ensure that I exercise the next day and commit extra time to it. Not easy and didn't happen until basically now.
4. Don't do this alone, if you can help it.
I didn't actually exercise with anyone but just knowing there was a group of us working hard at it and weighing in every week made a HUGE difference. I would chat with others from time to time about ideas/struggles and it helped so very much! Even if you just need someone else to keep you in check every week, it's worth it.
5. Don't wait until New Year's.
You'll be 2 months ahead of the pack. :)
6. Add the good before you drop the bad.
I heard this tip on the radio about 6 weeks ago and it's so common sense and brilliant all at once. Most people try to diet and exercise at the same time. They cut out all the bad foods and start these rigorous exercise regimens. Then what happens...they cave, overindulge, don't see any weight change, give up, it's too hard. Not that I speak from experience or anything.
Instead, start adding the good. Start adding more fruits and vegetables to your diet. Allow your body time to get used to those foods before you start dropping the bad stuff. My opinion, don't completely drop the bad foods-I don't want to be miserable!
With exercising-start out with light exercise and allow your body to get used to it first and then gradually add more.
7. Something, anything, is better than nothing.
When I just can't bring myself to do a full workout routine, I do something. Maybe just some free weights and work my arms and legs. Or some push ups and stomach crunches. Because it really is better than not doing anything at all.
Hope this helps all you readers and I know this recap will help me too when I start to discouraged, I can come back to my very own words!
3 comments:
that's a total cute picture of you, btw! man, we soooo need to get together soon somehow...
anyway, i really like your thoughts. it is definitely a process, with some days better than others, and that's ok. you rock for sticking with it and reaching your goals - i really am impressed!
great advice!! congratulations! on losing but also on having a great mindset. that's definitely what i'm missing right now. question, did you have to give up other things to make exercising a priority? (like surfing the web, hobbies, etc??) just wondering for my own sake. it's so hard to prioritize for me.
thanks velvet. :)
tenny-great question! I can't belive I forgot that. Yes, I definitely had to carve out time and that's why my blog posts were quite sparse over the past 3 months. I dropped the computer-time drastically. Instead of doing that, I was exercising. I'm keeping my laptop on the kitchen counter during the day so I don't sit at all. I'm standing typing this right now! :)
After dinner time has also been a good time for me too, especially if I can get dinner on the table closer to 5:30pm.
10 to 15 minute increments of exercise work best for me too because I can get some time in throughout the day. I will be posting what I did soon!
Post a Comment