Friday, July 24, 2009

slipping through my fingers all the time



I've had some issues with Rachel over the past month or so. She just seems discontented. She's losing control of her environment now that Emma is a 2 year old who stands up for herself. I also think alot of it is that AWANA, gymnastics and homeschooling all ended around the same time. This doesn't bode well for a personality who thrives on planning, structure and schedules. She wants to know what she's doing, when and where. What I embrace most about summer is what I believe is part of her misery: no schedule and no plan.
I've come up with a few things to help her and it's kind of working...I think. First, we're going to storytime at the library every week-it's free and she can expect it. And second, I just started this last week but I'm letting her plan the meal every Friday night. We got her a Disney cookbook for Christmas and they have cute, tasty and simple recipes. Last week we had Blast-Off Burritos and Playtime Peanut Butter Treats.


She helps of course and seems to be enjoying it.
And for tonight, it was going to be grilled chicken but it's pouring out so maybe broiled chicken instead. For a side dish, Be Our Guest Berry Salad and for dessert, So Not the Drama Apple Pie Cups.

2 comments:

Tenny said...

i hear you about no schedule messing things up a bit. my kids love it. but when i ask/tell them to do something THEY weren't planning. well, we sure have a big hullabaloo. apparently there is a downfall to scheduling(even though i love it). great idea about planning meals! i must try it.

CALAMITY JANE said...

i can sympathize, too! my kids (sky, in particular) do so much better on a schedule. maybe it's an age thing, i don't know. sky also has a hard time with shark getting into his things, too - my boys either play like angels together or are at each other's throats. it's a love/hate - no in between :)
i love that rachel has her own cookbook! what a good idea :)