Wednesday, July 29, 2009

why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam?


Hey, check me out. I don't know what to do with my hair these days. My highlights have grown out pretty nicely since February when I got them. I know I should probably get it done again since it's been almost 6 months but $$$. And, I don't know that I like the cut anymore. Suggestions?

Now on to the real post, my job. I've been working for the past 4 years at a hospital as a senior data analyst-I gather data, write reports, build databases to track the data...as part of the quality department. This reporting is useful for improving patient care, preventing injuries such as falls or infections for the patients, and meeting standards and guidelines of patient care and patient satisfaction that help the hospital for reiumbursement and incentive programs.

During these past 4 years, my job has been a per diem status. Per diem means no benefits: no paid time off or medical benefits. I am at hourly pay, if I don't work, I don't get paid. This has been good and bad. Good because I make my own hours, if I don't have work, I don't come in. If the kids are sick, I leave and I can take time off whenever. After I had Emma, I didn't even work for 4 months and afterward, just once a month for a while. Of course the benefit is flexibility, the downside-not getting paid for any of the time off.

Considering that last year Hubs lost his job and didn't have a steady job for several months and how that has set us back financially for a long time, we have prayed about possible improvements for our income situation. Although Hubs has a great job, we are so thankful, it's a pretty big pay cut. So we looked into my job and what could we do to change? I inquired about moving from per diem to part-time. I have been working just about 2 days a week now for about a year. The minimum hours for part-time is 20 hours a week.

And, now I am officially part-time! This means I know I'll be getting a steady paycheck of 20 hours a week. I'm still working 2 days in the office and doing the other 4 hours at home. I also get paid time off which is huge!
We are so grateful for the opportunity and hope to get ourselves back on track financially and for my parents who take care of the girls when I'm at work.

5 comments:

jtaco said...

YAY! Congrats about the job! That's awesome!!!!! What an answer to prayer, huh?! :) And as far as your hair goes, I really like it as it is. I can't believe it looks that good without a touch-up or cut for 6 mo.! You are one blessed girl! I have to color mine once a month b/c the gray grows out and looks horrible!!! Again, congrats on the job. Are you officially part time now?

Mary Beth said...

My part-time started this week actually. And, I have gotten my haircut a few times since but not colored.
Happy Birthday today too!

CALAMITY JANE said...

hey pretty lady! that is so great that you are now part-time! i always here moms that work part-time are the happiest :) and what a perfect thing that your folks can watch the girls.
i think your hair is cute...but i understand, since i am also at that stage where i don't know what to do with mine :)

Mary Beth said...

velvet-I haven't heard that part-time happy mom phrase before. Huh.

Well, you two are no help! (:
I'm getting it cut this Sat. so I may just bring a pic of me from Feb and ask for the same cut because it's changed a bit over time. I really want to get highlights again but that'll have to wait.

Tenny said...

hooray for part-time. that's really great for benefits and that it doesn't seem to be that much more time, work-wise. and i know what you mean about the hair. sometimes you've just got to do something. i like the new cut. and i too am impressed that the highlights look this great after this long. i've redone mine a few times myself within the past 2 months. so you are blessed with your hair, indeed!!!