Friday, October 28, 2011

apple betty? don't mind if I do

Got some apples to make a pie but don't want to make a pie crust? Me neither. Try this out, it's delicious, very easy to make gluten free and so simple. The apple dessert trifecta.


Apple Betty

Ingredients:
4 cups sliced apples-not too thin (I used a mix of cortland and macintosh-6 medium apples)
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup sugar (I did 1/2 cup white and 1/2 cup brown sugar-love brown sugar with apples)
3/4 cup all purpose flour (I used g.f. flour and added 1/2 tsp of xanthan gum)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
dash of salt
1/2 cup butter, cut up

Directions:
Preheat oven at 375F.
1. Mound apples in greased 9-inch pie plate; sprinkle with orange juice.
2. Combine sugar, flour, spices and salt; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. (I used my hands, much easier); sprinkle over apples.
3. Bake for 45 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is crisp.
4. Serve with ice cream.

My ice cream melting avalanche. YUMM!

1 comment:

CALAMITY JANE said...

i actually meant to comment on this, like, forever ago, but my computer and i have been in more of a long-distance relationship lately :) anyway, this looked SO good!! love that it's gf. definitely going to make it!