Thursday, May 7, 2009

one of my all-time favorites

Sadly the only blackberries I hear about these days are those electronic contraptions.

Feast your eyes on the real thing.

Aren't they GORGEOUS? One of my favorite ways to devour these beauties is so simple and delicious: with a mound of homemade whipped cream.

MB's Whipped Cream (serves 4-because you just have to make it fresh on the spot!)
Ingredients:
1/2 cup chilled heavy cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup confectionary sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Mix ingredients in a bowl and beat with mixer until peaks form.


2. Taste test-by professionals only.


3. Dollop mounds and mounds on top of berries and zest a smidge of lemon, lime or orange.

You won't even believe how good this is.

5 comments:

CALAMITY JANE said...

i love homemade whipped cream, too - i never would have thought to add sour cream! you are a genius because i heart sour cream and am always trying to think of stuff to add it to :) i am so totally making this!

Tenny said...

oh yes, i would believe it!! yummmmm. making my mouth water. i think we're going to get a bumper crop of blackberries this year. not quite as plump as the storebought, but hey, they're free:)

Mary Beth said...

velvet-I heart sour cream too! But you may have to call me a genius thief because I saw that idea from somewhere a year or two ago but figured since I've been making it that long, it's mine now. (: I won't make it without sour cream.
And, instead of vanilla, try 1/4 tsp. almond extract. Ooo-la-la good.

Tenny-your own blackberries!?!? Don't be surprised if I sneak on over. (:

jtaco said...

you know what's crazy....all of Brian's family in OR and their friends burn their blackberry bushes b/c they consider them a pain!?! I've never seen so many blackberries in my life, buckets and buckets of them for free :) Love the whipped cream recipe. I just may have to try it this summer!

Mary Beth said...

jtaco-wow, too bad they are on the other side of the country!