We are finishing up homeschooling with only hopefully 2 weeks left!! I also need to put together Rachel's portfolio of work/pics and summary of topics we covered to be reviewed by a certified evaluator. It's down to the wire and it's crunch time but soon it will be done!
So what about next year? Am I continuing on? No. With Rachel entering 1st grade, the curriculum is more structured and more is required. Since I am working 2 days a week, I don't feel that is adequate time to properly teach her.
Here are our options: private Christian school at our church or public. We can't afford the first and the second is not an option we are comfortable with. What to do???
Well, a friend told me about a charter school in the area. Charter school?!??! Around here?!?!?! I had no idea. We looked into it, the principal is a Christian and so are some of the teachers and families who send their kids there. It is a public school but not at all like one. I think of it as the public schools from yesteryear where the teachers were there just to teach. No unions. No agenda. Just love for kids and love for education.
Entering the scene...the lottery system. There is such high demand to get into the charter school, that the only openings left were selection by lottery. I filled out an application online for Rachel. I didn't even speak to anyone at the school. I was going to call them and confirm they had received it but forgot about it. I prayed about it and just asked the Lord that if it was His will, she'd get in. If not, please show us what to do.
I got a call one day from the school. Rachel had been chosen and we met a week later with the principal and took a tour of the school. We accepted and Rachel is going to be a first grader at the charter school in the fall.
I was reminded of a verse at church recently in Proverbs 16:33, "The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the LORD."
We are completely thrilled and at peace seeing the hand of God orchestrate it all in the way only He can do.
I am trying to just enjoy the last few weeks with Rachel as we wrap up the school year. I can't wait to be done and get all the school stuff out of the dining room. But, I also know that this time is sweet and we have the summer to enjoy as well. Then, off she'll go and it will all seem too fast.
2 comments:
wow! congratulations! both on finishing and getting in to the charter school.. where is it? i'm so curious now. i know what you mean about needing time to teach. sometimes 5 days a week doesn't seem like enough. i'll be thinking of you and praying for you as you finish up and get all your paperwork done. that is one thing i am not looking forward to next year!
that is absolutely AWESOME that she got into the charter school!! we looked into that option with sky, too. it's so nice to have peace about their schooling!
ps - i hate to admit it, but it felt nice getting my dining room back, too :)
Post a Comment