Sunday, October 18, 2009

harvest time

Do you decorate for the seasons or other holidays besides Christmas? I don't.

I start decorating for Christmas the first week of December and we take everything down usually the day after New Year's. Yup, it's up for about a month and that's it.
So, after realizing that we've been in our house for 4 years now and I've been looking at essentially the same pictures (aside for a few new ones of Emma) on the windowsill in the kitchen for 4 years. Yuck. What took me so long? I decided to take them all down and starting decorating for more than just Christmas.
I thoroughly cleaned the windows and sill and was so very eager to get started. Yeah uh, I have nothing. I found these 2 cute pumpkins on clearance (you can see the closeups on my side pictures) and this was my window. I already had the pretty candle thingy.


Then, I purchased this candle and I have to say, this is the best candle I've ever bought. I enjoy putting it on the kitchen table and burning it after dinner and smelling it for the rest of the evening.


I added this to the windowsill when not in use. Then, my mom came to the rescue and let me have a whole bunch of stuff and my secret pal gave that scarecrow on top of the hay number (thanks secret pal whoever you are). And now, it's perfect and I love it and I'm so happy I did it.

4 comments:

CALAMITY JANE said...

i LOVE your sill :) it looks really great! even just having 1 or 2 spots of seasonal decorations really makes a difference. and scented candles are the best - now i want a mulled cider one, too :)
i decorate for halloween since i'm in love with ghosties and skellies, but usually don't do too much 'fallish' decorating other than my one tray of funky little ghourds. but now i kind of want to....

Mary Beth said...

Thanks! I can't believe how much I'm enjoying the kitchen just from doing that. It's also probably why I love Christmas decorating too. Next year I want to do a back to school theme with apples and school pics.
I also want to be careful and not collect too much cuz then I have to store it.
Mulled cider: I want to drink it! We also love it b/c it's not too strong or perfumey. That amish store has the best stuff!

Tenny said...

i think i might have to have a glass of apple cider now! i love that you had "nothing." why? because i'm in the same boat. but i LOVE fall as well and maybe should do a bit of decorating. of course, i'm wondering if emma has tried to run off with your sill decorations? i can see my 2 year old doing it(And having a marvelous time, too).

Mary Beth said...

tenny-Emma tried to play with the little pumpkins (I told her no and that was it) I'm still not sure how that happened. (:
And actually we had company over and their almost 2 year old grabbed it, dropped it and the stem broke off. Nothing a little super glue couldn't handle. (: