Wednesday, November 11, 2009

better than pumpkin pie


I almost don't want to admit how easy it is to my 'out of this world' pumpkin pie squares recipe. But in the spirit of giving thanks, as in, I give, you thank me...ha ha. I do think it's better than pie there's only one little glitch with it...

Have you noticed that companies have been downsizing the size of their product but charging the same amount? Tuna cans were 6 oz. but now they're 5 oz. Chips bags are much smaller now...diapers...the list goes on and on.

Well, canned pumpkin is no different. The recipes calls for 20 oz. can of pumpkin, stores now sell 15 oz. I have tried it with 15 oz. and it's not quite enough, the next size up, 30 oz. which is way too much. My recommendation get 2 cans, use about a 1/3 of the second one and save the rest to use for something else-you want about 3 cups of pumpkin.

Whew-ok, this is so good. I have made this gluten free too. Just use one can of pumpkin, use one egg and cut back on the milk and butter for the filling and use a gluten free yellow cake mix-which makes just an 8x8 pan not the 9x13 so use less butter in the crust too.

Pumpkin Pie Squares

Ingredients:

The crust:
one box yellow cake mix-reserve 1 cup for topping
1/2 cup butter
1 beaten egg

Directions for crust:
1. Melt butter in 9x13 pan in oven as it preheats to 375F. Allow pan to cool a bit before next step.
2. Pour cake mixture over it.
3. Add beaten egg to mixture and mix well, smooth evenly in pan.

The filling:

3 cups canned pumpkin (approx. 20 oz.)
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter

Directions for filling:
1. Mix well with spoon and pour over the crust.

The topping:
1 cup reserved cake mix
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

Directions for topping:
1. Mix well and sprinkle over top of pie.
2. Bake 45-50 minutes, done when knife comes out clean.

For gluten free-baking time is less.

I prefer to serve the squares cold (because it gives the squares time to set a bit) with either my homemade whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

7 comments:

Tenny said...

yumm!!!! sounds good, a bit like a pumpkin crunch recipe i found. do you use unsalted butter?

Mary Beth said...

yes, usually that's what I have on hand. I also like this recipe b/c it's relatively cheap to make, just buy a cake mix and canned pumpkin b/c the rest are already on hand!

pumpkin crunch? sounds good. (:

CALAMITY JANE said...

um, why isn't this in my mouth right now? :)
pants just mentioned the other day how what used to be 1/2 gallon of ice cream is now even less. i didn't realize that was happening with a lot of products, but now that you mention it, i can totally see it. interesting economy...

SLD said...

The smaller packaging is a direct result of manufacturers not wanting to noticably raise the price tag on their products. By making the packaging smaller, they can still keep the same price and look better than their competitor's item sitting next to it on the shelf. The manufacture sells less product for the same price. Essentially it becomes a more expensive product but unless you look at the ounces, you wouldn't notice the difference.

jtaco said...

Looks like an AWESOME recipe, too bad my husband can't stand anything with pumpkin. I may just make it for myself some day, ha! I noticed the packaging thing too. It stinks when you have a recipe that calls for what the package used to be and now have to buy more. I noticed it with frozen veggies :(

Mary Beth said...

jtaco-you could always make it for Thanksgiving if you're going somewhere...(:
And from SLD's comments, I'm wondering if buying the cheapest price isn't really the best bargain. Huh. Who has time to calculate all that? Maybe I should just try to buy bulk at bjs more but then I need more $$ up front for it. Yuck, what a rip.

the back door said...

do you actually make the cake mix or just use it dry? i want to try this recipe!!