Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I'm on a mission and it ain't too sweet


I'm on 3 missions actually.

First mission, fitness.
I've done these rants before, my friends. I may be slow or maybe it's a turning 35 revelation, I'm not sure, but I do now know something about myself. Here we go.
There are 2 versions of me. Winter Me (WM) and Non-winter Me (NWM).

WM likes to hibernate and truly be a bear in all regards. Sleep, eat, nap, sleep and eat. Stay home at all times and only go outside when absolutely necessary. And of course because of my very honed bear-like skills, I add on a few 100 pounds of insulation for the winter.

NWM likes to be out and about. Do outdoorsy things and eat super healthy. This is much easier since fresh produce is in season and better. NWM likes to be active and get going. Still likes sleep and eating but in moderation and more thoughtfully. NWM spends most of non-winter time trying to rid herself of the devastation that WM has caused. NWM gets discouraged regarding losing the insulation of WM that is so not needed.

In light of this, I have decided to make a more reasonable and attainable approach to the fitness process. One that I can sustain all months of the year. WM, you're going down!

Fact: I will not get up early to exercise. It just does not happen. Why make that a goal that I know I can't attain and then feel guilty every single morning when it doesn't happen?
Fact: I can do strength training with weights throughout the day. Even in small snippets if necessary.
Fact: I can do stretching/yoga throughout the day. I've found yoga to really help my circulation in my neck and shoulders which I have constant problems with and see a chiropractor regularly for it.

I still haven't figured out when I can get in some good cardio for at least 1/2 hour. I'm working on this one. And perhaps after I'm into a cardio routine, I'll want to get up early and do it then. We'll see.

I've been doing the strength training and yoga mostly daily for about 2 weeks and have already lost a few pounds. I've also been making better choices with food and not snacking so much after dinner. A more gradual process. I usually try to barrel through with some ridiculous fitness regimen and burnout within 3 weeks.

I have to say that I am pretty proud of myself in the sense of figuring out more of who I am and how I operate and work with it instead of feeling like a failure for not succeeding with what maybe other people do.

Bottomline: NWM will be working very hard to be NWM even in the winter. Time will tell and oh, lots of prayer! :)

Mission 2, that's for another post.

7 comments:

Tenny said...

i love the WM and NWM. i totally agree!! now if i could only stop eating..... this cool spring weather is really fueling the WM in me.

CALAMITY JANE said...

ok, i love this post :)
i love that you discovered this about yourself! i never really thought of that before, but i think it's common - even here in sunny cali i gain weight in the wintertime (six pounds this year! yikes!) and want to totally hibernate...hmm...
for me, i am just now discovering that my favorite exercise is doing something fun with other people (including my kids) OUTSIDE, even if the weather isn't great - like i run next to shark riding his bike around the neighborhood, or i get out and play a 20 minute game of tag with the neighbor kids, or whatever. just something with the combo of fresh air and sweat :)
or inside, half an hour before andy comes home, i turn on some fun music in the living room (my kids are really into lip-synching to oldies and elvis right now, it's sooo funny) and dance crazy with the kids. i used to try to do stuff like videos (like jillian michael's, who is awesome), but i just get bored.
also, i used to get the night time munchies, too! what is helping me is making dinners that i really really love and letting myself eat as much as i want, and even maybe a yummy dessert. and since i feel 'satisfied' i don't have the urge to snack afterwards. sometimes i just brush my teeth after dinner and i feel like ok, i'm done with my mouth for the night :)

CALAMITY JANE said...

oops, sorry for the book and i hope it didn't sound like i have all the answers or whatever! this is just something i am struggling with lately, too, and am constantly trying to figure out a routine that works for lazy old me :) we are in the same boat!

Mary Beth said...

tenny-this spring weather has been all over the place and not helpful at all!
velvet-thanks for the ideas. What I really want to do is walk the neighborhood alone at a fast pace with some good music on the ipod.

I too have brushed my teeth early for that very reason. :)

CALAMITY JANE said...

mb, that's a great idea - do it tonite!!

Mary Beth said...

I did! After dinner, I was OUT! 35 minutes, it was fan-tas-tic.

ps-I gained 8 lbs. between October and March. Appalling!

jtaco said...

I think you hit it right on the head, be reasonable in what you can do and stick with :) Afterall, we're not 18 and single anymore, ha! Achievable goals and realistic expectations. Don't beat yourself about the weight, you are not alone! I honestly don't know of anyone that it doesn't happen to. I wish you the very best in your journey! Go MB :)