Monday, May 17, 2010

where'd my birfday go?


We celebrated Emma's third birthday yesterday (which is really Wednesday) with a family party at our house. Here's Emma's birthday themed window which will stay up all week.
It was a perfect weather day for the kids to play outside and for grilling up some delicious lunch. We had grilled burgers (I mixed ground beef with some oats and mustard for some flavor and heartiness) and hotdogs with all the fixin's, chips, and salads: My jello/fruit/pudding salad and a new potato salad recipe which was oh so good.
Not the greatest picture...recipe coming soon.

I also tried a new beverage recipe: watermelon lemonade which was so refreshing. I forgot to take a picture and next time I think I'll add more water so it's not so thick. Recipe also coming soon. Maybe I'll make it again first and then take a picture before I drink it all down, Napoleon Dynamite style. ;)

Check out her birthday cake. My mom made wacky cake which everyone loves and I asked her to put blue frosting on it. I had found this idea in a magazine and my niece and sister-in-law helped me put it all together. It was so fun!

I also made these sweet little treats which I forgot to set out until way later. I've made these for years but this was the first gluten free success of my jam cookies. Not to brag or anything but they do kind of melt in your mouth. Wait. I did want to brag, never mind. Again, recipe coming soon. These are very good with a cup of hot tea or coffee.

Now that we have all the food out of the way, what about the lady?

Oh, here she is.
She was so cute. I mean soooo cute. She squealed and giggled opening her gifts and would shout with excitement the names of all the things she opened. I just wish I had better pictures. Hubs was operating the camcorder and I was helping with gifts so we didn't really have pictures for part of it until Hubs handed the camera to my nephew. Of course with all her cousins around, it was a crowd,a great crowd at that. :)

Mrs. Potatohead. Emma's version: tomato!

Buzz Lightyear! I love her little toes. :)


So after everyone had left and we were cleaning up; Emma very sweetly asks, "where'd my birfday go?"

3 comments:

CALAMITY JANE said...

oh my gosh, she is sooo cute!! love the sill, love the cake (what is wacky cake, btw?), love the napoleon dynamite references :) and watermelon lemonade! never would have thought of that, and yes, please post the recipe - i want to drink some while eating some jam cookies! awesome that you made them gf and they were so good. oh, and i want the pot salad recipe too - pants loooves potato salad! then again, he would :)

Mary Beth said...

Thanks for the recap, I think you mentioned everything. :)

Wacky cake is chocolate cake made with no eggs, uses vinegar and melted butter. Maybe my mom will share the recipe with me. :)

CALAMITY JANE said...

lol, that was quite the recap wasn't it! i must have been really hungry when i read your post :)