So the chaos of yesterday is over. If you've ever lived in NH during election time, you know what I mean. For months the candidates came to visit our great state. We've seen campaign ads on tv for what seems like a year, the relentless phone calls and mailers and now it's over. It's nearly impossible to NOT be informed living here. Eventhough it can get a bit annoying, this year I came to even appreciate it a bit.
I've been reading Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln because I wanted to learn more about our 16th President. I've learned not only a lot about him but also his opponents and how they played a role in the most crucial moments in the history of our country. Over 600,000 lives were lost in the Civil War. This is more than all the lives lost in all of the other wars the US has been in, combined. To put it into perspective with the population of the US today, it would be if we lost 5,000,000 lives in just one war.
My point: When I was walking from a remote parking lot to get to the building where I would vote, I was reminded of this sobering thought. I can go and fill in a little bubble and vote because of the cost of those who have gone before us and preserved our freedom.
Do your duty and when it's your turn to vote, don't pass it up!
No comments:
Post a Comment