Thursday, January 24, 2008

what's the deal with eggplant, anyway?

I like vegetables: spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, carrots, peas (hated them as a kid), green beans, zucchini, squash, corn, etc. Eggplant is not very popular because it's kind of spongy, kind of bitter, and if cooked wrong, can be mushy and nasty. But, as with other veggies, it does have nutritional value. Eggplant is a good source of fiber (leaving skin on), potassium and folic acid.
So, here is my eggplant parm recipe (to use the other half of the eggplant left over from my super supper soup). I've found that most of these recipes rely too much on the spaghetti sauce and parmesan cheese to do the flavoring. I've added some seasoning to the egg mixture which packs a lot more favor and makes the eggplant sweeter and of course, delicious!
Note: I have not added salt to this recipe because store bought spaghetti sauce and cheese has enough but if you're using homemade, you may want to add a little salt.
My Eggplant Parm
Ingredients:
1/2 of small/medium unpeeled eggplant
1 garlic clove, crushed or minced
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. parsley
tiny pinch of red pepper flakes
1 large egg
1/3 cup bread crumbs
1/3 cup parmesan cheese
olive oil
1-2 cups spaghetti sauce (depending on preference)
1-2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (depending on preference)
Directions:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees and warm skillet on medium heat with a few tablespoons of oil.
2. Cut eggplants into 1/4 inch slices-about 5 slices. Mix together egg, garlic, basil, parsley and red pepper flakes. Mix together bread crumbs and parm cheese in separate bowl. Dip eggplant in egg mixture and also brush on mixture to make sure seasonings stay on. Then coat with bread crumb mixture, shake off excess.

3. Cook a few slices at a time for about 5 minutes, turning once, until light brown; drain if needed. Repeat with remaining eggplant, adding more oil and bread crumb mixture if needed.

4. Place half of the eggplant in ungreased rectangular baking dish, overlapping slices slightly. Spoon half of sauce over eggplant. Sprinkle with half of mozzarella cheese. Repeat with remaining eggplant, sauce and cheese.
5. Bake uncovered about 25 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and cheese is light brown.

Serve over spaghetti or some other pasta; with garlic bread and a garden salad. Another yummy dinner!

3 comments:

jtaco said...

hmmm....I just may try some eggplant after seeing your soup and eggplant parm. Looks good! I won't tell Brian what's in it :) I've never made eggplant before.
Are you proud of me Mary Beth....I actually set up an account so I could post a comment!!! :)

Mary Beth said...

I am proud of you and thanks for reading my blog and posting a comment!! (:

CALAMITY JANE said...

yum!! i will try this! and i love the pictures, too! :)