Tuesday, June 17, 2008

4 months=plateauing, the good and bad


(Rachel left this for me while I was preparing dinner, she let me know that it was a special hot dog with a gluten free bun. (: )

I'm a little behind on my gluten-free journey log, mostly because I've been reflecting on the past 4 months. I remember a few years ago talking to a friend of mine who had testing for food allergies and found out she was allergic to wheat, limes and few other obscure foods. I recall thinking, how in the world could this poor girl eliminate wheat? It would be so hard! Little did I know...

So here's the deal, I've reached a plateau which can be good or bad or both. The good, as the definition states, a relatively stable state. I am definitely here, I feel my metabolism is back to normal for the first time in several years.
The bad, I was getting stuck with food. Annoyed with food. Bored with food. Depressed with food. Love/hate relationship with food. I got tired of trying to come up with meals and preparing different lunches for Emma, Rachel and myself everyday. Too much work.
So I broke down and bought a new gluten free cookbook. No exaggeration, every recipe I've tried so far has been really good. It's Gluten Free: Quick and Easy by Carol Fenster. I realize that most of you don't need this cookbook but what I love about it is that she also gives tips on preparing food in advance and provides several recipes based on the same meat and to use it in different ways. She has an 8 week menu plan which I've started to use and it's really helpful. Her recipes are rather basic and not at all complicated and even if you're not gluten free, you could benefit from the meal planning aspect and use just regular ingredients. (maybe the baking section wouldn't work well though) Regardless, it's gotten me out of my food and meals woes so I'm grateful.

As you can see from the pics below, I've lost a good amount of weight in the past 4 months. I've lost some of the baby weight and gluten weight (bloating/puffy) as a result of course of gluten dietary changes and exercise. Overall, I think it's been about 15 pounds. I'd like to lose about 10 more (I'd settle for 5) but I've been a little lax in the exercise department as of late. Time to get moving again!

My photo gluten free journey:

January 08-before gluten free

February 08-after one month gluten free

March 08-2 months gf

April 08 - 3 months gf

May/June 08 - 4 months gf

5 comments:

jtaco said...

You look marvelous! I'm glad you found a cookbook to help you through the rough patch. Hang in there! :)

CALAMITY JANE said...

geez, you look great! you look like you did in college :) awesome job on the weight loss! i also recently went through a 'gluten-free sucks and is boring and i hate it/food' phase. thanks for the cookbook suggestion - i will totally check it out - i need it!
ps - i made your layer salad last week and it was the yums!! :)

Mary Beth said...

You gals are so nice. (: I'm not nearly close to my college size that's for sure but I'm being realistic about it (for the most part)!
velvet-made sloppy joe wraps (wheat-free tortillas) last night from that cookbook, YUM! I think you'll like it. And I think I'll be making that layered salad alot this summer. (:

CALAMITY JANE said...

sloppy joe's sound sooo good right now...i never thought to use wheat-free tortillas. what a good idea!

Mary Beth said...

velvet-she's got great ideas like that in the cookbook. Sloppy Joes always reminds me of Sandler on SNL with Chris Farley dancing around as a lunch lady. Ah, that was so funny.