Friday, August 1, 2008

24 finds me in 24th place


If you have seen any sports news in the past less than 24 hours, you know it, Manny is gone. Since everyone else is putting in their 2 cents, so will I. Hey, my blog says it's my musings. Muse away...
Manny's gone, sad but true. I say sad because it ended so ugly. He made sure he left and took down everyone with him. Sure, there have been other years where he's wanted to leave too but this one was different, he was downright nasty. It makes me wonder what deals they tried to make in the past and if the Sox would've gotten more players or a higher profile player but refused because they didn't think they'd get to this point.

I will miss the lethal duo of Oritz and Manny, too bad it's been dismantled. The truth is, in the last almost 8 years that Manny has been in Boston, the team went to the playoffs 4 times and won 2 World Series. Manny won the World Series MVP in 2004. So hey, we needed him and he delivered but there most certainly was a cost. $20 mil. a year and like some other players before him, they also apparently need a salary just for their ego and we're all tired of it.

So, he's in LA. Yucking it up with Nomar. They can reminiscence and laugh and giggle about it all. No matter, they're across the country. I just REALLY don't want to see Manny in a Stanks uni next year. Please no.

Now we turn to the newest left fielder for the Sox, Jason Bay. From what I've read, he's an all around solid player. Sure, he can't hit like Manny, few can. Albert Pujols comes to mind and of course A---d, yup, can't type his entire name. He's got huge shoes to fill and I hope Sox fans recognize that he's not going to be Mr. Superstar in the clutch. But maybe I'll be wrong and he will be "clutchy" and thrive here. I'm ready for a solid player who will try and do his best. I wish him all the best as he transitions from obscurity to center stage.

The times they are a changin' in Rex Sox world. I can't wait for the game tonight.

GO SOX!!!

(ps-my title is a great song by Switchfoot-check it out if you know what's good for you.) (:

2 comments:

jtaco said...

I love your passion for the Sox :) Sports figures, there's no one quite like them. Ya' love 'em and hate 'em at the same time. Thanks for the update on the Sox. I don't follow baseball much, but always enjoy the sports world. Every time I go to the dr.'s office I pick up Sports Illustrated. I love that magazine! In fact, I used to read it like crazy when Brian was getting his free subscription :)

Mary Beth said...

I know what you mean. I have a new favorite player NOT on the Sox. Josh Hamilton for the Texas Rangers. He's got a great testimony and I found out about him at an eye dr. appointment from SI while I was waiting. (: