Monday, March 23, 2009

#38-thank you

So much to blog, so little time.

My thoughts on the news today that Curt Schilling has officially retired. In pure #38 form, he tells the news of his retirement via his infamous blog. Personally, I think he should've retired after winning the World Series in 2007. He ended up having surgery in 2008 and never pitched a game the whole season.

Over the course of his career, people have developed rather strong feelings for him. Some good, some not so good, and some just respect him for the player he is/was. I'm somewhere in the middle. He certainly said things at times that were not the best but haven't we all done that?

What I will remember however is the obvious fact that the 2004 season and first World Series Championship in 86 years for the Red Sox would not have happened without him. He was the ultimate big-gamer and produced amazing stats in the post season: 11-2 in 19 starts with a 2.23 ERA. Remarkable.

23 years in the big leagues is quite a feat in this era of baseball as well. So thank you Curt Schilling for bringing my beloved Sox two world championships. I will be thrilled when he's in the Hall of Fame and joins his 'bloody sock'.

1 comment:

jtaco said...

Your passion for baseball cracks me up! I just can't get into it. Not enough action to keep my attention :) Hope you guys are healthy finally! We're still fighting crud off. The latest was croup with my two youngest kids, arg!