Wednesday, September 23, 2009

yo spike, I got the motts


Sink your teeth into this. I've been making this recipe of banana bread for years. In fact, it's from a Winnie the Pooh Teatime cookbook that I got at a bridal shower over 11 years ago! It's always gotten rave reviews, super moist and delicious. It certainly won't win any healthy awards but I say, live a little. (:

The best news of all, I tried it out with my own gluten free mix and it was incredible. Just like regular old flour, Hubs couldn't believe it. So I'm passing this on for everyone to enjoy, the gluten way and gluten free way. Make this, please. You'll be super-duper glad you did.

Banana Bread
Ingredients: (gluten free version below)
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) at room temp
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup milk

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350F.
  • Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt.
  • In another bowl, cream butter and sugar. Then add eggs and bananas.
  • Add lemon juice to milk.
  • Add flour mixture and milk mixture to banana mixture alternately, ending with flour mixture.
  • Pour into greased loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
  • Allow to cool in pan under a towel.

Now for some tips and tricks to make this gluten free.

G.F. Flour Mix:

  • 1 1/2 cup sorghum flour
  • 1 1/2 cup cornstarch
  • 1 cup tapioca flour

Always mix thoroughly by putting in a canister or large ziploc bag. Shake for at least 2 minutes until the mix is completely blended together. It should look like it's one flour since that's what we're trying to create. This makes 4 cups of flour. Reserve the other 2 cups of flour for another loaf of banana bread in the future. (:

I have put in the bold the changes, there really aren't that many. Enjoy!

Gluten Free Banana Bread

Ingredients:

2 cups g.f. flour mix
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 cup butter (1 stick) at room temp
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup milk

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350F.
  • Place flour mix, baking soda, salt and xanthan gum in a ziploc bag and shake vigorously until thoroughly combined. (Rachel enjoyed doing this for me)
  • In another bowl, cream butter and sugar. Then add eggs and bananas.
  • Add lemon juice to milk.
  • Add flour mixture and milk mixture to banana mixture alternately, ending with flour mixture.
  • Pour into greased loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour. *I found this version bakes a bit quicker and only needed about 45 minutes.*
  • Allow to cool in pan under a towel.

6 comments:

CALAMITY JANE said...

i'm dying over your title, btw. i say that to pants from time to time, then start giggling like crazy as he shakes his head cuz he has no clue what i'm talking about :)

anywho. now i'm conflicted...i TOTALLY want to make this for the kiddos, AND i have a bunch of bananas i need to use up...but i'm trying to eat better this week and i know if i make this i will eat it!! a lot of it :) what to do, what to do...i'm glad gf baking is going better for you, though! that's a great flour mix! :)

Mary Beth said...

I don't know why that pops into my head from time to time but it just does. (: and pants-doesn't remember or too young?

This is what I did about trying to eat better...I gave a bunch to the kids, enjoyed just a bit over a day or two and gave the rest to Adam to take to work.

CALAMITY JANE said...

pants just knows it's some weird saying from the old college days :) he probably is too young to know the source - maybe i should give him matt's number...

so i caved and made the banana bread! it is sooo good - really one of the best banana breads i've had. the kiddos love it...i just made one loaf and it's almost gone :)

this summer during my baking frenzy, pants' work LOVED me cuz i sent him to work with baked goods like, every few days :)

Mary Beth said...

glad you like it, I'm always partial to my own stuff. (:

jtaco said...

Too funny, I just made 4 loaves of banana bread last week :) Haven't made it in a long time. Boy was it good! I love it warm with a ridiculous amount of butter. And yes, it's very dangerous to leave that stuff in the house :) Love the picture of the girls on the sidewalk with their backpacks!!!!

Mary Beth said...

jtaco-Emma insisted on having her own backpack, so cute. I finally remembered to have the camera ready because that's what they look like most mornings and it's just so adorable.