Wednesday, January 13, 2010

hmm...bacon


Here's a nice break from the typical pasta and spag sauce meal.
I put two recipes together awhile ago and came up with this. I hope I remember how I made it because it was really good! This is easy to make gluten free, just use alternative pasta.


MB's Pasta Dish
Ingredients:
5-6 bacon slices
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1-2 teaspoons heaping minced garlic
1 can diced tomatoes
dried basil, about 1/2 tsp.
dried oregano, about 1/2 tsp.
salt and pepper to taste
parmesan cheese
2 eggs, lightly whisked in large bowl (This step is optional)
spaghetti/linguine

Directions:
1. Cook bacon slices in deep skillet. Drain, reserve a bit of grease to cook in pan. Set bacon aside on papertowels, cut up after cooled.
2. Meanwhile, start cooking pasta.
3. Saute onion and garlic in bacon drippings over medium heat until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Simmer on low for 5-7 minutes.
4. When pasta is ready, drain and immediately toss in with 2 eggs. The eggs cook from the heat and adhere to the pasta. This adds more texture and protein to the dish(shh-no one will know). Once eggs are thoroughly cooked on pasta, transfer pasta into the sauce and toss.
5. Sprinkle dish with parm cheese and bacon. Toss lightly.
6. Serve immediately and add more parm cheese if you like.

3 comments:

CALAMITY JANE said...

ooh...bacon! i love that you add eggs, what a good idea. i am totally in need of a new fun pasta ideas, so i'm going to make this!!

CALAMITY JANE said...

i meant 'idea' :)

jtaco said...

awesome! I'm going to make this next week! Looks amazing!