Monday, January 4, 2010

oo la la sasson

First allow me to begin by saying how much I am LOVING reading the Bible everyday! If you missed it, here is the link to a schedule for reading the Bible from beginning to end in a year. I also like this website because once you've clicked on the reading for the day, it crosses it out for you. How thoughtful of them! It's not too late to start.

Ok, so we went to NY for Christmas, came home Sunday after, had Christmas with my fam on Monday, and then we were home all week. Both Hubs and I had the week off and actually both got paid for it for the first time ever!! I realized today when I went to pick up Rachel at school that it was the first time I'd left the house in a WEEK! It was fantastic to be a hermit. Seriously, I needed it so very much.
Not that we weren't busy working on stuff around the house. Well, Hubs was more busy than me for sure but I was VERY supportive. (:

We've been in our house for a little more than 4 years and as you know, we've had to do some major repairs/upgrades. One of the projects we wanted to do when we moved in was the upstairs bathroom but it kept getting put off. Something about mold in the kitchen, furnace repair, converting to wood heat and oh, replacing an entire roof got in the way. Sigh.

The Lord knows our needs before we even ask, amen? We received very generous giftcards and $$ for Christmas this year. Hubs immediately started getting things for our very desperate-1968 bathroom. No joke, the toilet...ICK. I would rather paint a room tiffany -blue-not have a sink, toilet, and tub that color, I'm just saying.

So I don't know about you, but this is what we do on New Year's Day. Nothing like looking out the kitchen window and seeing this bad boy. (:

It did get better though since it snowed from Friday-Sunday. (: It makes me giggle a little, it looks like giant marshmallows on top.


Hubs, being the thrifty-smartypants that he is, went to an outlet place where it appears they collect odds and ends of all sorts of things and got us a brand new sink. Instead of replacing the entire vanity (the cabinet part is what is major $$$), he measured it and got a one piece sink and counter. He painted the cabinet part and actually cut out a bit of the cabinet inside since we were changing from a sink to the side to a sink in the middle. Amazingly, the top drawer still fits too! He also got a new toilet (not from the outlet place) but still a good price. He also ripped off the wallpaper and painted. I would have helped, honest but the bathroom is so small, we both couldn't have been in there to work anyhow.

We also got a skylight put in when we got the roof done with the intention of someday replacing the tub/shower since there's a window in the shower. We'll cover it up and already have the skylight there. However to save $, we said we'd finish it in the inside part which still needs to be done. We'll have to save for a while before we can afford to replace the tub/shower but at least we've made some progress and I am giddy already!!

Before: not too bad but not great either.


After so far: I really should've taken a picture today with the sun shining in the skylight. Oops. More pics to come!!

5 comments:

CALAMITY JANE said...

i can't believe you didn't want to keep the blue toilet!! just kidding :) i love the new cabinet - the whole bathroom looks so pretty and bright and fresh. there is nothing like the feeling of getting a major project done!!
oh, and great job supporting him - i hope he lets you take a nice long break from all that hard work :)

Tenny said...

woohoo!!! we're totally with you on the remodel things when we have "vacation." and i totally understand "being supportive" while the hubs does it:) been there, doing that!! it looks great and i bet it feels great. the white really freshens it up.

Mary Beth said...

Thanks! It's all pretty monotone colors right now which we did on purpose. When we fill in the skylight area, we're using wood which will match the brown tile (although the wood won't be that dark). Our focal point of color will be the new shower curtain that I'm saving up for-and literally it's the focal point b/c it's the first thing you see in that tiny bathroom. (:

jtaco said...

what a difference!!! Looks great! What an awesome feeling to have that done, huh? I don't know about you, but when we do projects around here, afterwards I always wonder how I could stand the old stuff. Sometimes I think, "how embarassing that I had that in my house and had people over", but it's usually the $$$$ that holds us back :) We got new family room furniture. An acutal real SET of furniture. I can't believe how bad our other stuff was. Chairs that were 25 years old and a sofa from a garage sale! UGLY!

Mary Beth said...

so true!!