Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I run forward and you fall back

Have you ever seen a recipe in a magazine and thought, 'I'm going to try that' and then go to make it and realize you may have at most, half the ingredients? So you throw in all these substitutes and hope for the best. Well, this happened to me tonight and I had to write this out now before I forget the ingredients I used because it was rather fantastic. I won't even bother to tell you what the original had. :)
All I can say is, this is not a typical mexi-chili-like black bean soup, it's more 'earthy' than that. I will definitely be making this again and so this is to share and help me out so I make this again. Like tomorrow. Ok. Maybe next week.

MB's Improvised Black Bean Soup
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. of ground cumin and ground oregano
1 tsp. dried cilantro
onion powder, a few shakes
1 small zucchini, bite size pieces
leftover cooked corn
bite size mushroom-about a hand full
diced onion
cut up grape tomatoes
1 can of vegetable broth
1 can black beans, about half drained and rinsed and the other half in the juices
pinches of salt
black pepper
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1/2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
a pinch of dried rosemary, crumbled up into smaller pieces

Directions:
1. Heat oil in a medium size pot and add garlic, cumin, oregano, cilantro and onion powder. Stir and cook about 30 seconds-when you smell the amazing aroma, remove pan from heat and add a bit of water to the pan, stir.
2. Return pan to burner and add zucchini, corn, mushroom, onion and tomatoes. Saute on medium heat for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
3. Add broth, beans, salt, pepper, brown sugar and vinegar. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, turn heat to low, add rosemary, stir and simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes.
4. Serve immediately with tortilla chips.

Top with sour cream or shredded cheese or guacamole or diced tomatoes or green onions. Or, whatever you like and any combo you like.

The only ingredient I wish I had that wasn't part of the original recipe but would've been really good are peppers. Green/red/yellow/orange. Any or all of them. Next time there will be peppers!!

Incidentally, I made this sans any meat. A very nice light meal but hearty and just perfect on this cold rainy day.

No comments: