Monday, April 14, 2008

I'm diving in

Ok so here's more info on my exercise routine. You've probably seen it in info-mercials or in some stores but my go-to workout routine is The Firm. I actually bought the set back after Rachel was born. I'm sensing a trend here...The kit back then was 5 vhs tapes(so old) and their infamous 'fanny lifter'-I don't think they even use it anymore. It's a 2 tiered step that you use with the workouts and it's a killer! See below with my lovely model. (:


The tapes are: Absculpt-25 minutes abs only workout, ouch! Bodysculpt-45 minutes lower body and upper body which you can split up and do separately or together. Cardiosculpt-55 minutes TOTAL body workout-all muscles groups, low impact cardio, and an abs segment. Then 2 super sculpt tapes, Super Body Sculpt-30 minutes and Super Cardiosculpt- 45 minutes. These workouts are downright tough but I favor them over all other videos I've tried.

Here are a few reasons why:
1. Afterwards I feel like I've really accomplished something.
2. There's room to improve. Other tapes get boring and once you've mastered it, then what? These however have beginner, intermediate, and advanced options within the workout and you use varying weights and can add more as you get stronger.
3. No hopping, jumping, 'herky-jerky' movement. I can only speak to the ones I have though but the moves are purposeful and the cardio is low impact.
4. My shape is changing already and I'm only into my third week.
5. I feel stronger, have more energy, and my posture is better.

My schedule: Initially I wanted to do the 55 minute cardiosculpt 3 times a week but that was too hard to fit in. So, I'm now trying to fit it in twice a week. The other days I try to do one of the other tapes for about 25 minutes. So the absculpt one day and maybe just the upper body for about 20 minutes another day for example. My goal is to exercise 3-4 days a week. On off days I'm trying to get the girls outside for just a nice walk around the neighborhood now that it's getting a little warmer. Sundays are always off limits. God created a day for rest and He knew what He was doing, obviously. Don't forget to rest too!

Now here's a confession. Just about everyday I come up with reasons and excuses to NOT exercise. I may favor these tapes but that doesn't mean I actually want to do them! They're hard and I was sore for days at first. But, I have come to the conclusion that I won't change or get in shape unless I stick with it. So I'm trying to look at this as a challenge resulting in the satisfaction that I've conquered it for that day. One day at a time.

So checkout out The Firm. You may even be able to find it at the library. Oh and you'll need some dumbbells too. I really think these workouts would benefit anyone because the premise is to build up and tone muscles which in turn burns calories and fat.

Whatever you choose, lace up those sneaks and let's get to work! (:

3 comments:

CALAMITY JANE said...

sneaks :)
i will have to check out 'the firm'...sounds like just the butt-kicking i need!

Tenny said...

i hear you on the "easy to make excuses" part. i know that if i just try to do it, i'll feel better. but some days.....

Anonymous said...

The Firm is a great series of videos - I have a step at home that for some reason I just can't seem to let go!