(first time I've ever seen walking sticks well, except in books)
I have a dress that I've been trying on and finding it too tight all summer long. I've been feeling "skinny" the past few days and thought I'd try it on one last time, considering summer is over. Guess what? It fit! I just wore it with a cardigan and it was perfect. My instant question was, how did I do that? I haven't worked out in like 2 months. I had to stop and think, what have I been doing lately? Here's the breakdown. Obviously I haven't been intentionally dieting otherwise I would've known right away.
Sweets
We are on an incredibly tight budget for groceries so any sweet treats are out of the question. Add being gluten free and it REALLY narrows down the choices for me. Really, the only additional sugars I get are:
1. about teaspoon in the a.m. with my coffee
2. some soda once in a while
3. a handful of chocolate chips here and there
4. ice cream at my parents house (my go to dessert)
5. a candybar once in a while
I think that's a pretty small list. No cookies, cakes, brownies, etc. I don't really miss it either. Don't worry, the kiddos get their sweets and so does Hubs- all glutens for them. I'm not really baking much either because the ingredients for gluten-free stuff is too pricey.
Gum
We were given a box (BJs size) of gum. When I get the munchies cravings, I pop a piece of gum sometimes and it tides me over for a while.
Legumes
I had been a little lax with my legumes and got back into adding them to meals again. It's amazing how much better I feel having more protein and fiber. I have more energy and my brain seems to function better, definitely less grouchy. The best part, they fill me up which leads to the next one...
Snacks after dinner
I haven't been snacking after dinner as much because I'm full from dinner and other foods during the day. This is huge because I really think most people don't lose weight or keep it off because they are eating too late at night (myself included). Occasionally we make our own popcorn at night while watching tv but that's about it, no food after 7pm.
I've been kind of dieting without even realizing it! I also had a nasty head cold 2 weeks ago which I am sure played a factor as well. I just wonder how much more I could've lost had I been exercising this whole time!
Which leads me to my closing question, where in the world do you find time to exercise when you're homeschooling? Last year when Rachel went to preschool 3 mornings a week, I'd workout in the morning when Emma was taking a nap. Now, I'm doing school in the morning with Rachel while Emma naps and at some point Emma will be transitioning to one nap a day in the afternoon. This might also mean that once that happens, we'll do school in the afternoon? I guess we'll see. The only time I think I can do it, is in the morning before the kids get up. Right now, I have a hard enough time getting up early enough to take a shower before they get up.
Any suggestions?
9 comments:
it is REALLY hard to exercise with the kids around! and esp. trying to fit it in around homeschooling - i so hear you!
this past week i have resorted back to the one thing that always works, though...turn up the music and start dancing! my boys love doing it with me, and it can really work up a sweat. and who cares if you look dumb cuz it's only the kids who see you :) then you don't have to worry about naptimes, since it's fun for the kiddos, too.
i used to let them jump/dance around on our huge bed to the music while i would aerobicize next to them - they LOVED that :)
also, sometimes just blasting fun music while cleaning or whatever gets me in the jump-around mood, and then before i even realize it, i'm sweating :)
GREAT idea. If I could dance around like an idiot in college in front of my friends, I can certainly do it with my kids! (:
I've also been making sure Rachel gets plenty of recess time and that's gotten me more active as well. I forgot to mention that in my post.
Now I need to dig out my ABBA cd. (:
my kids love ABBA and are way too familiar with it :) hee hee.
also - the not eating after dinner thing was a huge reminder for me - i am going to start (well, stop) doing that asap! and what are your fave legumes?
you just gave me an idea for my next post! my short answer: peas, black beans, chickpeas, cannelini beans and peanuts. I'll post a recipe soon. (not all those combined) (:
well, i used to put the boys down for afternoon naps and put rachel in the shower. that would give me about 15 minutes of time to do an aerobic dvd. now, with the dog- not possible. i do try to get outside as much as possible. it's nice to have a long driveway, walking to get the mail is exercise!
i LOVE the dancing idea!
i will be ready for recipes with pen in hand! i definitely need more legumes in my diet!
we should make an ABBA dance/exercise video - it'll be the new craze :)
ps - remember how awesome mama mia was!!
ps - congrats on the clothes fitting! :) SUCH an awesome feeling!!
velvet-did you see the mamma mia movie? not as good as the musical but still ok. Our dance video would be awes...(:
I was so shocked that the dress fit! Completely ecstatic about it. (:
Post a Comment