
In my quest to add more legumes to my diet, I've settled on 3 particular beans that do the trick quite nicely. I think beans get a bad wrap in general because some are truly harder to digest and people tend to avoid mexican food or baked beans because of it. However, I've found that NOT to be the case with black beans, chickpeas(garbanzo beans) and canellini beans (white kidney beans). All three seem less starchy, hold up well with other ingredients and aren't too strong in flavor. In other words, I can get my kids to eat them! (:
I've taken a white chili recipe and made a few changes and it's a big hit at our house (and for company too). Sometimes I also make my own tortilla chips out of corn tortillas but not this time. I'll post this as well when I make them again. My six year old says this is one of her favorite meals. This is a really nice light alternative to traditional chili; packed with flavor, fiber and protein. Eat up!
Oh yeah, I cheated a little and it's not technically white chili because I added a can of diced tomatoes. I can't help it, I LOVE tomatoes!
MB's White Chili
Serves 5-6
Ingredients:
oil
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 t. minced garlic
1 can chicken broth
1 t. dried cilantro or 2 T. fresh cilantro
1 T. lime juice
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. dried oregano leaves
1/4 t. salt
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained (optional, but not in our house!) (:
1 small can corn, drained
1 can canellini beans (white kidney beans), drained and rinsed
2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
Directions:
1. Heat oil in large pot over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic in oil, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients, except chicken. Heat to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 20 minutes. Stir in chicken; simmer until hot.
3. Top with shredded cheddar cheese. Serve immediately.
This is great served with tortilla chips and a dab of sour cream on top.

Coming soon...I'm working on perfecting a new twist on baked beans AND a fantastic Mexi-Rice recipe.
3 comments:
i LOVE white chili! i add large limas and chicken stock to mineas well; but have never tried tomatoes, next time though. yum yum, we're having it tonight!
who do you think you are with all these good recipes - your mom? :)
this looks TOTALLY yums and i am so going to make it. sharkey is on a big soup kick these days :) so it's perfect. i want to start hearting legumes, too!
tenny-I remember when you made that for our MOPS shin-dig and it was sooo good. Once I threw in those tomatoes, I just can't go back. (:
velvet- I WISH I was my mom. (: I think you'll really like it and it's so filling.
Post a Comment