(I'll give you a hand...)
Recently, we had used the last of our dishwasher tablets and we decided to (gasp) not buy more. Yup, hand wash our dishes. Why? We didn't want to spend the money to buy more AND we were curious to see if it would cut down our electric and water bill.
Also, for the last month or so we cut down on our air conditioner usage. We have one that we put in our bedroom window every summer. Our room is small too so since we have the air conditioner in there, we don't put a fan in there. Some nights when it wasn't super muggy, we would just turn on the air conditioner but put it on the fan setting. We thought however that maybe it's drawing more energy that way than a regular fan would run. Solution, unplug the air conditioner when not in use and on the nights when we don't need it on, use a regular fan.
Well, our electric bill came and with those 2 changes, we saved $40!! Our water bill is only quarterly but we're guessing we'll see a big change as well.
Sorry, lovely dishwasher and believe you me, I miss you at times but my wallet says otherwise. (:
4 comments:
Yeah for lower utility bills!!! I'm sure the air conditioner alone helped a lot. You're a brave woman not running the dishwasher. Not sure I could do that. However, I haven't had my furnace on for 2 weeks, knowing that winter is just around the corner and my bills will sky rocket, ugh! There's been some pretty cold mornings in my house, as it's getting down in the low 40's at night, brrrr!
such a great title from a song!!
i remember what it's like without a dishwasher...good luck. i wish i could save on that(no savings when you have a well). but we have been shutting of lights and computer monitors more(apparently, they suck a lot of energy).
jtaco-I knew ya! We had to pull out the space heater because it was a little chilly this morning! I can't believe it's happening already. Not to mention that my lawn is getting covered with leaves. boo-hiss.
tenny-I have a strange range in music taste (at least I think I do). Adam has Jimmy Dean's greatest hits-great song. (:
Dishwasher-would you save on electricity? We haven't even seen our water bill yet...
We've also been unplugging our microwave too.
nice savings! and i am impressed that you are hand washing the dishes!
we are trying to get our electricity bill down, too - so far not with much luck :) hmmm...maybe i'll have to try some of your tactics...
Post a Comment