Monday, February 4, 2008

lemon zest? yes please

I love zesting. The zester, yet another of my favorite kitchen gadgets. Whether it's a lemon, lime or orange, when you start to zest the smell is happy. It just is. I love fresh berries in the summer for dessert: blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, and strawberries with homemade whipped cream and any one of those zests on top. I can't wait for summer! Until then, here is a splendid spruce up of a plain old side dish of rice. This is straight from the cookbook below and it's super easy to make and will guarantee requests for seconds!



Lemon Rice
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups canned chicken broth
1/2 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic, slightly crushed
1 cup long-grain rice
1 tblsp. finely grated lemon zest
2 tblsp. chopped fresh dill (I use dried,about 1/2 tsp.)
2 tblsp. unsalted butter
black pepper to taste
Directions:
1. Heat broth, salt, and garlic in a heavy saucepan to boiling. Stir in rice, cover, and simmer until the liguid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
2. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon zest and let stand covered for 5 minutes.
3. Remove the garlic. Gently stir in the dill and butter. Season to taste with pepper. Serve immediately.
4 to 6 portions

1 comment:

CALAMITY JANE said...

great recipe! i love the zest, too! the scent, the feel, the little spray that goes into the air when you peel it back :)