Wednesday, February 20, 2008

tuna patties-legume style

My mom made tuna patties for dinner alot growing up, always tasty and filling. She usually used saltine crackers or bread crumbs but in my quest to add legumes, I've changed the recipe a bit and made it a few times so I think I'm ready to share. These are really healthy, very filling and best of all, my 5 year old loves them! They are good on their own but some of us like to dip in ketchup or whatever other sauce you may like. We don't use buns, don't need them. I usually serve these with some cooked veggies.
Tuna Patties
Ingredients
2 (6 oz.) cans tuna, drained
1 egg
2/3 cups chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
1/4 tsp. dried dill weed
1/4 tsp. celery salt
2 Tblsp. olive oil
dash of pepper
additional 1 tsp. olive oil
Note: do not decrease olive oil unless you want them to be really dry!
Directions:
1. In food processor, add chickpeas, dill, celery salt, 2 tblsp. olive oil, and pepper. Pulse until chickpeas are finely ground, but not pastey.

2. Combine tuna, egg, chickpea mixture, and 1 tsp. olive oil. Mix thoroughly. Divide into quarters and shape patties.
3. Coat skillet with nonstick spray and warm on medium heat. Add patties. Cook about 7 minutes each side until golden brown. Do not overcook-they'll dry out. Serve immediately.

Leftover chickpeas last in the fridge for 2-3 days. Add them to salad, soups, or any rice dish you're making. Or snack on them while you make dinner- I do this quite a bit, hubs thinks I'm crazy, crazy for chickpeas!

4 comments:

CALAMITY JANE said...

what a good idea to use chickpeas! you clever girl, you. your last sentence made me laugh :)

Tenny said...

sounds good!(and cheap too)i might have to add this to my arsenal:) and i'm totally singing as i read your "golden nugget." good one.

jtaco said...

Hey, here's another great recipe with tons of vegetables. Cut up
1 1/2 pound (or more :))of your fav. veggies. I use zucc., carrots, onion, peppers, etc. Mix with Lipton Savory Herb with Garlic packet (found in the soup section) and 2 TBS olive oil. Put in a 9 x 13 pan and bake at 450 for 20 min. The veggies are awesome! And it's super easy!

Mary Beth said...

thanks for sharing, that sounds yummy. I love quick and simple and 'good for you' dishes, I'll have to try this!