Friday, March 7, 2008

why I love the Red Sox, reason #11


Ok, so I don't actually have a list but I picked #11 because that was my favorite player's number from 2003-2005. Bill Mueller, third baseman, who had many accomplishments during those 3 years. He played a pivotal role in game 4 of the ALCS in 2004. A stand up guy and Christian.
Anyhoo, as every other Sox fan knows and understands, we love the Sox now and the season hasn't started yet. Among a myriad of reasons but in particular my #11, is what Sox baseball represents. It marks a passage of time and a new season. It is: green grass, fresh air, time in the car on roadtrips, cook-outs, open windows, shorts and sandals, portable radios outside while our kids are swimming and/or eating out on the deck, and the end of hibernation.
And yes, it even brings neighbors together. Last year, our neighbors who have 2 grown daughters were saying how boring it is to watch the games alone. So, they cut through their backyard to ours and we watched a few playoff games together! We snacked and just had fun!
It's also the easiest topic of conversation with a complete stranger. One time, I was wearing my #11 t-shirt shopping in Old Navy. I kid you not, a couple was shopping near me and asked me where Bill Mueller was now and if he had retired, etc. This is just one of many many examples of that complete stranger scenario. And they say people in New England aren't friendly, bah! (:
So there you have it, I can't wait for baseball and now you know one of the reasons why!

No comments: