Monday, March 3, 2008

let's try this again


My bright idea of pushups and 'weak abs' exercises just wasn't working for me, BORING! So plan B but first...Here's one great ab trick that you can do anytime and anywhere. Tighten your abs and imagine pulling them in toward your spine; hold for 10 seconds, working up to a minute as you get stronger. This really does work, your stomach will appear flatter after doing this just a few times.
Plan B, straight out of Woman's Day Magazine. Thanks to my nephew's school fundraiser which started it all, I've been getting this magazine now for years. I like it because it's got a little bit of everything: style and fashion tips, health and wellness, budget and finance tricks, decluttering and cleaning tips, recipes, kids activities, meals and snacks they'll love, etc.
The latest issue, April 1, 2008 has an article called, '20 ways to burn more fat'. Yes, please. Included is a nifty one page of 5 exercises to burn more fat. I've been doing these instead and man, do they work. My legs feel like rubber! I was going to post the link from their website but I discovered this particular article is not online. Sorry. Bottom line, exercises with free weights are very effective.

5 comments:

Tenny said...

this is me totally doing that ab exercise right now!! i agree with you on the boring thing! i've done an exercise video twice now, and i'm already bored with it. i guess the twice a week makes it less boring(and less effective) thanks for the tips:)

jtaco said...

My husband ordered a DVD called 15 minutes of Hell...and boy is it!!! It's part of the Japanese military workout. We've done it since last Monday and I've lost 5 pounds and Brian 3 pounds. What I like is that it's only 15 min. I just do what I can, which is kinda pathetic, but it's all a process. That and cutting out snacking has made a huge difference. It includes those ab exercises you kinda mentioned where you tighten everything you can for 6 sec., take a break for 5 sec. or so and repeat 8 times. It makes you feel light-headed! Just know that you're not alone. We're all working on it :) Best of luck! I've heard that 21 days of something creates a habit. That seems about right.

Mary Beth said...

jtaco-wow! that's great. keep up the good work!

CALAMITY JANE said...

jtaco - wow! that sounds really interesting! good reminder about the snacking, too - that is my weakness :) and mb - i have seen a difference when using free weights, too. esp. in my arms. and i am totally gonna try those ab tricks! i want steel, baby!! :)

jtaco said...

Thanks....I just attack it one day at a time. It's nice knowing that we're all working on it together and helps me stay more focused too. Are abs of steel possible after 4 kids, 6 years of age and under???? :)